Case Report


  • Y. ÇEVİK
  • M. ÖZER

Received Date: 03.11.2007 Accepted Date: 10.01.2008 Eurasian J Emerg Med 2008;7(1):33-34

Methanol is produced by the distillation of the wood. Its poisoning happens either by mixing with whisky accidentally or consciously by suicidal purposes. Its half-life is 14-20 hours after mild toxicity, 24-30 hours after severe toxicity. It may cause severe ocular and neurological damage after severe toxicity. Treatment parameters are gastric lavage, fomepizole, ethanol and hemodialysis. In this presentation we aimed to review methanol poisoning and its results. A 28-year-old male patient admitted to the emergency department with the complaints of blurred vision and sensation of tingling. It was learned from his history that he took 200 mL of cologne and 10 tablets of akineton® for suicidal purposes. In the physical examination, his overall position was good, conscious, oriented and cooperated. His blood pressure was 120/80 mmHg, pulse was 88/min and respiration rate was 14/min. His visual acuity was evaluated as 0.6. His laboratory parameters are: pH: 7.28, pO2: 131.1, pCO2: 30.5, HCO3: 20.8 in blood gas analysis; AST: 197 U/L, ALT: 141 U/L, ALP: 188U/l, GGT: 252 U/L, LDH: 248 U/L in biochemical evaluation.

The patient was accepted as methanol poisoning and given fomepizole as 15 mg/kg loading, and then three times 10 mg/kg every 12 hours. Then, 20% ethanol solution was given as 0,6 g/kg loading, 0,11 g/kg every hour. 38 hours after the admission he was asymptomatic and discharged with advises.

Keywords: Fomepizole, methanol, poisoning